including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 03:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Addison's disease
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2016, 13:30 

Hi There

Just last week I had to have my beautiful dog Wookiee put to sleep due to an endocrinoma and Addison's. Both of which resulted in him having a seizure from which he never recovered. I had never heard of Addison's before this and went on your forum to see if this is becoming a feature of the breed due to the poodle genes.

Looking back Wookiee did have odd days where he turned his nose up on his food or vomited but we put this down to the fact he was a bit of a labrador hoover and might be feeling off. Other than being a bit slow at times there was nothing until his low sugar crisis.

I am thinking about/ planning when we should have another dog and I love the breed but am concerned about having another dog which might have the same traits - the heart break of losing our lovely Wookiee suddenly and far too soon has been devastating.

Anybody got any advice for me - it would be really be appreciated

Karen

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 08:06 

So sorry to hear about Wookiee - I can't imagine how heart breaking it must be for you.
Unfortunately with Addison's they do usually have what's called an Addisonian crises before they are diagnosed and that crises can sadly be fatal.
The problem is the symptoms can be things like diarrhoea, lethargy, vomiting - and when you go the vets they are given an anti sickness jab which has a bit of steroid in it which treats it for a while. Rudy was often not keen on his food and we always assumed he had a bug and that's what the vet would think too.
It is a genetic disease and if you ever suspect your dog does have Addison's there is a test that can be done to confirm diagnosis.
Because of my experience with Rudy if I had another dog with similar symptoms I would definitely be more aware of what it could be.
Addison's is a genetic disease so we did inform the breeder but so far none of Rudy's litter mates had any problems.
One bit of advice i can give is from a very young age we put Rudy on a raw food diet and he had his crises when he was 4 years old - the vets seemed to think that helped with his overall health and will continue to help him.
If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to pm me.
Thinking of you xx

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 10:14 

Sharan

Thank you for the tip on raw food, looking back I can now see that Wookiee had all the symptoms very mildly we just thought it was who he was.

I am looking really carefully for a puppy but am a little nervous that this might be a breed trait. I don't really want to have anything other than a labradoodle as they have such great temperaments and qualities.

We miss him loads but have had 6 and half very special years with him

x