including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 15:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Puppy stopped eating his food - help
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 13:08 

Hi All,
I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have a 5 month Australian Labradoodle and he is mad about food. He recently picked up a bug around 3 weeks ago which gave him sickness and diarrhoea. The vet put him on a course of medication and he was eating fine throughout his antibiotics. Since last Sunday when he finished the prescribed dose he hasn't been interested in his food. He is now grazing throughout the day on his usual Royal Canin food which he used to love and get incredibly excited about. We've tried adding chicken to his biscuits but this hasn't made any difference. Today he has hardly eaten anything at all but still seems happy, running around the house and playing with his toys.
Can anyone offer any advice? It's such a transformation from a dog who could hardly contain his excitement for his food to a dog who walks away from his dish.
Hope you can be of help?
Many thanks,
Louise

Post subject: Re: Puppy stopped eating his food - help
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 14:05 

Hello!

I would switch food. Royal Canine is a low rated food,although many will tell you otherwise. Have a look at allaboutdogfood.com which rates all food.

Our girl Coco became fussy at 6 months and we were even hand feeding her at one point. When we switched brands she was a different dog.

We now feed her Eden with some
tinned Canagan and she wolfs it down.

Just because a breeder recommends a food doesn't mean it's any good or even tastes nice.

Sorry to be blunt!

Let us know us know how you're getting on as its a real worry when they won't eat.

X

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 14:50 

I agree. I would, slowly( over the course of a week) change food.
We changed Dudes food at 6months, not because he wasn't eating but because he had a lot of loose poos from puppyhood.
We changed to Canagan kibble. Since then his Tum has been fine.(A welcome, dramatic change)
Perhaps your pup is off his food because, after antibiotics, they can have sore stomachs. We always give plain yoghurt following antibiotics. Same as you would for a human. Seems to work.Anny

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 17:33 

Was your pup on a special diet when he was poorly? Often vets either sell a tin of sensitive food or suggest feeding cooked chicken and rice. after that they can be reluctant to go back to their normal food.

Another possibility is that when he was ill food made him feel bad so he now has bad associations with food. Maybe you could make mealtimes different in some way... feed in a different place, or at a different time, or as suggested a new food. I agree that royal canin is not great. Look for a food that has a named meat as the first listed ingredient, and without corn or wheat, and preferably without rice too.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 13:01 

Hi Bid can I ask you why you say look for food with no rice, As I feed Ziggy and Bowie Symply and all their feed has rice in it. I would look forward to your comments.
Thank you.
Bee

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 16:04 

Thanks all for your excellent advice. We tried introducing him to Eden but this didn't tempt him either. Really love the website Annie - allaboutdogfood.com! Definitely going to change him to Eden in the long term so many thanks for the recommendation. We've also made sure that we're not giving him treats to supplement his food, although still give him a wee chunk of cheese. I spoke to the vet nurse this morning and she didn't recommend a probiotic paste and wondered if he had a cut or ulcer in his mouth. After an enjoyable (not) search around his gums this doesn't seem to be the issue either.
We're going to see the vet tomorrow just to be on the safe side as it's now been over a week without eating a great deal.
Hopefully he'll soon be back to his crazy eating ways soon :)
Thanks again,
Louise xx

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 20:58 

Bren wrote:
Hi Bid can I ask you why you say look for food with no rice, As I feed Ziggy and Bowie Symply and all their feed has rice in it. I would look forward to your comments.
Thank you.
Bee

I prefer not to feed anything with much carbohydrate in tbh - it is usually there as a cheap filler as dogs don't actually need it but dried food needs it to form the kibble. If you look at the nutritional requirements for dogs they don't list carbs at all. White rice has practially no nutitional benefits, brown rice has some but nothing that they can't get elsewhere. Rice is also known to be an allergen to quite a few dogs, so were I to feed a complete food to my dogs I would opt for one with sweet potato rather than rice, and as little of it as possible.

Looking at Symply they have quite a high percentage of white rice in their ingredients -I am sure there are plenty of foods that use only brown rice which would be preferable.