including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 06:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doodle Seizures
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 14:35 

Hello everybody
Not been here for a while but needed to talk .........
my boy is having seizures or at least that's what I think this is

Spoken to our vet and Doogle has got to have tests etc to determine the exact prob ......as you can imagine I'm beside myself with worry , hes very precious to me and has brought me ssoooooooo much joy.

I'm hoping this can be controlled with medication.

Has any Doodle Mum or Dad had experience of this have to say I'm pretty worried

Thanks for stopping by to read- Sue

Post subject: Re: Doodle Seizures
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 15:25 

Hi

Sorry to hear about your poor Doogle.

Im sorry I cant help, but couldnt just read and run. Im sure there is someone on here that has seizures, and they will be around to answer your questions.

Wishing him well and hope the vets can sort him out quickly.

Take care xx

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 15:51 

Hi

Poor Doogle, and poor you, its really scary when it happens

Stout had a 'funny turn' last Christmas - it wasn't a seizure as such - but he went to stand and couldn't and was staring into space and was completely unresponsive, after a few minutes he was back to normal. We took him to the vet who did various tests and nothing came back. He is 6 which apparently is quite a common age for epilepsy to come on. He hasn't had on since (touch wood). The vet told us to video it if it happens again so they can see what happened. We were also told to check his heart when it was happening to make sure it was still beating :shock: We think he had over heated as we were in a pub with a open fire just before, also he had lost lots of weight as the vet had said to put him on a diet - I had told them I thought he was looking a bit skinny, but they didn't think it was a problem - until that happened.

I know there are a couple of people on here who's dogs have seizures so I am sure they will be more helpful.

Keep us updated.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 17:21 

Thanks for replies

I'm sure this was a seizure poor Doogle collapsed on floor heard him crash and I ran to him , poor lad also wet himself he was mortified bless him even though he was experiencing the fit .

Will post again with any progress which may help others if all turns out well

SUE

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 21:38 

My Daisy has had a couple of seizures - they are very scary to see. Thankfully she has not had one for over a year now, and they weren't frequent enough to warrant epilepsy meds.

Wendy's Murphy has epilepsy, and they manage it with meds - hopefully she will be along soon to advise.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 18:05 

Hello!

My dog was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was three. It came totally out of the blue after he had Advantage spot on flea treatment. The vet thought it might have been a one off caused by the Advantage, but he then had another about four month later, and within six months was having one a month. It is very scary and upsetting to see, but you have to remember that it is worse for us to watch than for the dog as they are usually unconscious, even though they don't look it. My dog has never wet himself having a seizure, but he did do a poo the first time, but has never done it since.

He is on a medicine called Phenobarbital which he has to have every 12 hours and now hasn't had a seizure for six months and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him, he leads a totally normal life.

Hopefully, this is just a one off, but please don't feel it's the end of the world if he has more, it really isn't.

Please feel free to message me any time.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 19:56 

SO glad you've found the right medication for Murphy. Six months is brilliant! :D :D :D

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 20:27 

Thanks Bid! xxx

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 22:03 

Hi Folks

Quick update on Doogle - he's had bloodtests and they are showing something irregular so hes got tabs for a month then is to be tested again to see if its cleared.

Meanwhile to date hes not had any more turns and ive taken to giving him a light meal before bed and when hes on a play in the park I take a few bics to keep his blood sugar up - just got this feeling this might be the onset of Diabetes??? I personally don't think this is Epilepsy somehow. I'm probably wrong but no harm in trying.
Will keep you informed of progress.