including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 06:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kennel cough
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 16:33 

Hi, Millie 3, has got Kennel Cough but in her case it's more like a cold, her nose was running but that's stopped now although the sneezing continues. Am I right in thinking that it's just a case of waiting it out, she's quiet and sleeping, nothing changes. We've been going out on gentle walks. She caught it from one of the dogs she pack walks with, apparently ly it's Rife in Fife where we live. I'm giving her a spoon of Manuka honey twice a day just so I feel as though I'm doing something really. I don't really want her Having antibiotics unless it's the only way.

Post subject: Re: Kennel cough
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 17:39 

Anti-biotic won't stop KC as it's a virus I believe, but they are often given in case the dog develops complications such as pneumonia. Unles you are worried she is poorly I would just keep her quiet, keep her away form other dogs, and yes - Manuka honey should help. Hope she feels better soon.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 19:56 

Many thanks, every time she gets anything wrong I get so anxious, I'm sure I wasn't like this with my kids. Must be an age thing.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 22:45 

KC can affect puppies and old dogs more seriously so do keep her away from other dogs for at least 3 weeks from the start of her illness.......I know it's a bit of a pain but an old dog can suffer dreadfully. I nearly lost my old boy when he developed a chest infection that proved difficult to treat.We had several different antibiotics before he eventually recovered. If a dog is coughing badly you can safely give childrens Benylyn.and Manuks is excellent.
Hope Millie is better soon. :)