including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anal Glands
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 18:10 

I'm having a nightmare again with Murphy's anal glands. He's been really yelping when he has a poo since about July. At first I thought it was too much bone in his diet so reduced it, but it didn't make much difference. The vet told me to bulk up his meals with fibre so I did, this made no difference. I took him again on Friday and next Friday they are going to sedate him and do an investigation, as when the vet was feeling around he thought he could feel a polyp in his rectum. He said it was unlikely to be cancerous, but would need removing if this is what it was.

I'm hoping it wasn't a polyp as he couldn't feel it again when he tried, I'm hoping he's just got yet another anal gland infection, and that he will be able to flush and pack his glands again, as this worked really well last time and he didn't have another infection for a few years.

The worst bit is that he can't have anything to eat from Wednesday evening to when we get him home on Friday. He's going to be so hungry and will be driving me nuts, poor boy!

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Anal Glands
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 19:52 

Oh I share your concerns. Bertie started squeaking when he pooed to about the same time as Murphy. I took him to the vet who expressed his anal glands but said there wasnt much there really. He told me to bulk up his diet with Dorwest herbs tree barks powders. ( it smells nasty but strangely enough Bertie loves it). It got better for a short time, but now we are back to the squeaking again. I dont really understand whats wrong as his stool isnt really hard. But he is always reluctant to take the 1st poo of the day. I suppose I need to take him back, although the vet didnt find anything wrong.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 19:54 

Poor boys!

Have you tried adding psyllium husk to his food Wendy?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 21:43 

The poor things :cry: Stout has had a couple of infections, mainly when his belly is bad so his poo is softer than normal. One of his friends is currently having problems too, so I am not much help but will be interested in any advice

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 07:46 

Bertiesmom wrote:
Oh I share your concerns. Bertie started squeaking when he pooed to about the same time as Murphy. I took him to the vet who expressed his anal glands but said there wasnt much there really. He told me to bulk up his diet with Dorwest herbs tree barks powders. ( it smells nasty but strangely enough Bertie loves it). It got better for a short time, but now we are back to the squeaking again. I dont really understand whats wrong as his stool isnt really hard. But he is always reluctant to take the 1st poo of the day. I suppose I need to take him back, although the vet didnt find anything wrong.

Sounds very similar to Murph! I will let you know how he gets on, he is also reluctant to do that first poo, but quite often the subsequent ones are ok.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 07:47 

Bid wrote:
Poor boys!

Have you tried adding psyllium husk to his food Wendy?
]

What does this do Bid, as his poos are absolutely perfect - I could kick them with just my socks on as you say!!!!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 15:00 

Poor Murphy :(
It's probobly not the consistency of the poo causing the pain but the inflamed gland itself..... especially if the glands are infected.
I know my vets recommendation ( to increase fibre in the diet) might not be suitable for dogs with allergies but he told us to feed small bite mixer (Winalot at that time) and it worked for my dog Bosun (a completely nutty welsh Springer x Border Collie)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 18:50 

Back from the vet. He's had a biopsy taken from his bum, the vet said his anal glands are absolutely fine, but his bum is ulcerated and painful. He thinks its something called anal furunculosis which is an auto immune disease where his body attacks his bum. The good thing is that it can be cured with meds. He's clipped all the fur away from his bum and cleaned him up, he did it all under sedation.

He has sent the biopsy off today and will get the results back in 5 days, they are also testing for cancer, but the vet says this is very unlikely.

Murph seems a bit unsettled, so I've just given him a diazepam to chill him out a bit (as suggested by the vet) as he is acting as if he's going to have a seizure, so this will stop that. I thought he was in pain, but the vet said it's not a painful procedure that he's had, its just literally there little punch holes that he's had stitched. Hopefully he will be back to his normal self in the morning.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 19:18 

aw poor Murphy, I hope he is feeling better really soon xx

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 20:26 

Poor Murphy he really doesn't have much luck does he :(
At least now that you know the problem you can start to treat him and he will soon recover.
Hopefully the tests will rule out cancer and give you peace of mind.
Give him a hug from us x

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 23:46 

Oh bless him. Maybe he is feeling a bit out of sorts because of the sedation? Give him a get well soon hug from us

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 17:53 

I've realised what he's doing, he keeps running outside and sitting on the patio, his bum is quite red where they've shaved all the fur from around it, it obviously soothes it sitting on the cold slabs! Quite intelligent really!!!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 21:14 

Awwwww...poor Murphy :( . Hope he is feeling better soon.
I remember when Jazz had been clipped too close to the skin on her tummy, she was very red and was obviously uncomfortable so I applied some Sudocrem, it seemed to help or perhaps a little coconut oil to sooth his bottom :)
Hugs from Kobi & Jazz

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 11:17 

I've just put Sudocrem on him and his tail has instantly gone back waggy and his whole posture has changed, he's also stopped sitting down every two minutes!

Thanks for the suggestion x

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 12:43 

Bless his little cotton socks :( lets hope the sudocrem does the job :)

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics: