including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 06:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eye discharge / brownish gunk
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 16:01 

I have noticed in the past few days that my puppy (Ruby) has developed some brownish discharge / gunk around the lower parts of eyes (almost like brown tears) This hardens and is quite difficult to remove and appears to be staining Ruby's light coloured fur. I have checked with a quick call to the vet who said it's not uncommon to see this in pups and also some poodles have this same condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to remove this discharge and any other tips / advice?

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Eye discharge / brownish gunk
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 16:47 

I would only use warm boiled water to clean any gunk from eyes. Sometimes discharge can happen if you haven't been removing "sleepy dust"in the mornings. Dude doesn't produce much but just a tiny bit of dried stuff in the corners which I remove daily. If I have to be away and he's left with other family members who aren't so hot on daily tasks I sometimes find, after a weekend, he has some gunk that develops without my daily care. If it happens I find just one wipe with water sorts it out.
Dude has never had brown discharge but I'm sure someone else can help you on that point. Anny

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 10:32 

I read an article about using apple cider vinegar to reduce this 'poodle eyes' effect. I purchased Braggs organic apple cider vinegar and been adding a few drops to my dogs water. The results have been bi-fold. A reduction in the brown eye discharge but, also a improved and softer feeling fur...!

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 13:17 

I too just wipe their eyes with boiled water...but I would also keep an eye (excuse the pun :lol: ) on her. Some dogs suffer from ingrowing eyelashes . If you are at all worried I would let the vet examine her eyes.
As for the staining Jethro has a brown red beard caused by saliva staining and as yet I haven't found a remedy :roll: .....anyone????