including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 14:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ears
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 17:41 

Hello Doodlers

My Doodle has always had probs with her ears , used various meds from Vet including Hydrocortisone lotion.

Any suggestions to keep the brown yuk at bay would be very welcome , my Vet bills are spiralling out of control this year with Doggie meds.

Sue & Lotti

Post subject: Re: Ears
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 19:32 

Hello,

Bertie had chronic ear infections from about the age of 18months . The vet gave him steroids and antihistamines and an expensive veterinary diet. None of this helped. I changed his diet to grain free from Millies wolfheart, I rang them and they gave me great feeding advice and free samples. I clean his ears approx once a week, with MalAcetic Aural Ear Skin Cleanser for Pets from Amazon and I give him live natural yoghurt (1 tablespoon) each day on his food. He is 4.5yrs now and he hasnt had an infection since.

I hope this helps

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 00:37 

Daisy had ear problems for 5 years - they just never seemed to quite clear up. It turned out she had a couple of resistant bacterial infections - once the vet got into the swing of taking swabs to get cultured we couldidentify the bacteria (pseudomonas infections) and sort out the right anti-biotics to sort them out. For months afterwards she had cortevance (a topical spray) squirted directly in the ear canala to keep the infection at bay. SHe has been clear of infection for about 9 months now - a minor miracle!

FOrtunately I kept taking her to the vet, and they kept us on a regime of trating AND cregular cleaning which meant that there was no permanent damage to her ear canal, but we were days away from an ear canal ablation at one point.

We did an elimination diet at one point to try and see if she had any allergies. Tests showed she was allergic to egg, and possibly chicken - she is on a raw diet, and we avoid all chicken products.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 10:04 

I use Earsolve. It is a powder like thornit powder. Tess used to get brown gunk and this clears it up straight away. She hasn't had a problem for a couple of years since using it to clear up the last one so we haven't needed to use it for ages. All the blurb about it sounds too good to be true but it really does work.
Obviously be careful with putting a powder in the ear. I just puff a little and avoid a big lump going down. Hope you get it sorted. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 16:24 

Thankyou all for your help il get ordering some of the mentioned and maybe I should look at her diet too.

Although my dog has a mix of biscuit and wet plus fresh meat I may take one out and swap around over a few weeks and see, this ear prob is just such a nasty thing for our lovely dogs.

Sue & Lotti