including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 06:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tick advice please
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 23:41 

Hi folks,

I'm just after a bit of advice about ticks. Apparently there's lots about this year and Tess had one on her head tonight.
I was just tucking her in bed and stroking between her eyes and I felt a bump. Luckily I put the main light on to investigate and there it was.
It wasn't engorged. It was still tiny. I used sharp pointy tweezers to remove it (I ordered a remover but promptly threw it away with the packaging by mistake).
I didn't squeeze it but I can see a black dot in the wound which I assume is the mouth parts that I have left in. I can't get it out for love nor money. I have cleaned it well.
My question is should I take her to the vet or only worry if it starts to look like it hasn't settled down and looks sore?
Many thanks in advance. Xxx

xxx

Post subject: Re: Tick advice please
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 10:32 

It will likely be the tick head. If was me,I'd keep it clean , dont prod and poke as more likely to get infected. Not totally convinced by savlon or germolene but guess no harm. Hibiscrub perhaps if you have some.If you use tweezers again , you need to get the tick right next to the dog skin and twist round don't just grab the body... easy to say when the dood is going , "what the heck you doing? WHAT :shock: is on my body , ALIEEEEEN!!!" :roll: Well that is in this household with one dood. Camembert distraction works mostly!

Don't be too alarmed if tick area swells, my other girlie dood reacts terribly to a bite even if tick removed within hour.
Horrible blooming things! Some so tiny, near transparent until they have been feeding.They are very prevalent in the long grasses so I'd hold off walking in there if poss.

Ps Tess is gorgeous , always love looking at her photos

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 16:49 

The tick problem certainly seems to get worse every year annoyingly. :roll: Last summer we invested in a couple of tick collars recommended by our vet and we had no problems. The girls have just had new ones on for this year and they last for 7 months. They are made by Seresto and kill ticks, fleas and lice and also repels ticks in the first place. The collars are odour free and water resistant (Great for doods!!) :lol: and the dogs don't seem to notice they have them on! Mind you , I don't have the satisfaction of removing ticks any more with my little tom-o- twister anymore... Ah, nevermind eh> :wink:

Hope Tess is OK - she is such a beautiful girl :D

Susie Flo and Ruby x

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 20:03 

We had a seresto collar for Harley, but it rubbed all the hair off from his neck and he went bald.

I am now using Bravecto, which "touch wood" seems to be working.

Harley gets ticks every week or did until this new tablet. He obviously has tasty blood. I cant use tweezers to remove them, I have to have a tick tool, so easy to use.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018, 14:30 

I have just relocated in the UK after living in France for the past few years, ticks are a real problem there and each year seems to be getting worse. Nell ( and my hubby in fact!) had quite a few ticks last year, the best tool for removing ticks I bought from a pharmacy in France but are available from the vet. Not complicated to use and they make sure all the tick is removed. X