including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Flea treatment irritation
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 10:21 

I treated my 2 again last night with their bi monthly flea treatment (fipnil) They have both had a reaction to it over the past 2 applications (mild itching) but last night they were very itchy lots of running round trying to run away from the itch, whining and generally being unsettled.
The dogs rarely get walked through long grass. We live in the middle of a large town and they are either walked in the local Cemetery or play out in the large garden. They do not interact with other dogs often. I haven't ever seen a tick and to the best of my knowledge haven't had fleas.
I dislike using chemicals if I don't need to (I use wormcount.com for worming) I don't wish to apply this again and wondered if anyone has any experience of any non chemical treatment.
I think that I read on here that someone was going to try a herbal preparation but I couldn't find the post when I looked earlier.
Any help would be appreciated by 2 very itchy and tired dogs and one tired owner who was up very late last night trying to calm them (Piriton worked in the end)
Olly, Echo & Whisper

Post subject: Re: Flea treatment irritation
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 09:28 

I don't treat mine - if they had fleas I would use Advantix, but this year they have had no ticks or fleas without using anything. We are very rural too, and walk through farmland and woodland where there are deer, foxes etc.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 07:16 

Thanks for the reply. I had thought of only treating if they have fleas. My only issue is that when I get Whisper clipped they ask if his flea treatment is up to date. I suppose that if he has been checked and is flea free I could honestly answer yes. The only other time I get asked about that is when they go for home boarding for a week in the summer.
I think I may stop treating them and see how it goes.
Olly, Whisper and Echo.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 20:46 

Hi Olly

I have been using a product which has Cedar oil and silicone because one of my Doodles has seizures and it appears the Topical drops with Fip & Pretherin agitate the condition.

It does seem to work albeit it is pungent but the smell does wear off after a couple of days- it's called Dr Bens Paws and Claws and it basically suffocates the Flea and Pupae or so it says.

Seems to keep the critters at bay.

Sue , Lotti & Doogle

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 12:15 

Dude was v itchy in August, I suspected a rogue flea: vet prescribed Comfortis which I decided not to give. On a friend's advice I gave him a bath in his usual shampoo, then gave a one off 4Fleas tablet ( these are cheap, effective and we've never had side effects) I also upped the combing to a daily ritual. I didn't actually find any fleas or ticks at all and since then D hasn't been itchy. Anny

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 22:14 

Thanks for the ideas. Is 4fleas a preventative or do you give it only when they have fleas?
Olly

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 09:03 

4Fleas comes in a pack of 3tablets- to kill live fleas. You can give one a day. It's not a preventer.
We keep a pack, just in case.You can buy it in most pet shops and it's less than £5 a pack. On the occasions we've used it it has been v effective at stopping itching- which I suspect might be a rogue flea. It's virtually impossible to see fleas on a mostly black, tightly curled doodle :roll: Our vet has us on his PetPlan and he gives us Frontline to use every 6weeks but I'm not convinced it works anymore ( Dood is ok on Frontline, no reactions, but I'm not a fan) The vets answer to that was Give Comfortis! I read about it and said No Thanks!! Anny