Suggestions for thinning fur

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
kobi&jazz

Suggestions for thinning fur

Post by kobi&jazz » 08 Jan 2018, 22:54

Jazz is now approaching 10 years of age and I have noticed she seems to have small thinning areas on her coat where you can actually see the skin. She isn't itching and is not uncomfy, but I am wondering if any doodle owners with an older dog has come across this and if so what (if anything) you did about it. I have been looking at various oil supplements to add to her food but there are so many ie Salmon oil, Hemp Oil, etc - again if anyone has recommendations that would be great. :)
Many thanks

linny

Re: Suggestions for thinning fur

Post by linny » 09 Jan 2018, 14:08

As Jazz is now approaching ten I would first have a vet check to make sure that the thinning coat is not due to a thyroid problem.
Ambrose will be ten in August and I give him a tin of sardines in oil every other day ...perhaps this might help Jazz?

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 10 Jan 2018, 22:52

Thanks Linny -I had thought perhaps thyroid. I don't have much confidence in our vet and Jazz is fine in every other way but will keep an eye on the hair lose. I do give her sardines once a week, but think I will up that to a few times a week which I am sure she will appreciate :) .
Cheers again :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Jan 2018, 15:06

Fish oil is a good addition for doodles as they get older - good for the skin and the joints. You need to add vitamin E at the same time though, to keep up the anti-oxidents.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron