including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chewing toe nails
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 07:59 

My dog Milo has lately started chewing his toe nails. At first he chewed his toes, and I took him to the vet and she said he probably was developing an allergy to something in the grass and antihistamines might work - they did seem to. He stopped chewing the fur off his feet.

But now he chews his nails. I can't believe that is a reaction to anything that he is feeling (nails are nails after all). I can only think he is reacting like a bored child, and chewing his nails because he wants something to do.

I have never seen a dog chew his nails before. He can make a really loud "ping" when his teeth slip off the end of a nail he has been chewing hard. He chews dew claws as well as back and front nails.

I keep checking the nails - he doesn't seem to be doing damage, so should I just let him chew?

Post subject: Re: Chewing toe nails
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2018, 12:35 

It does sound like grass allergy. My old Border terrier suffered the same and we also treated her by antihistamines.
It was mostly at its worst in the Spring and seemed to ease off as he season progressed.
She too would chew her nails and we used bitter almonds (used years ago to stop children nail biting) .. I'm not even sure if you can still buy it but it worked for Kerris.
We were concerned that the constant chewing would lead to infection so I do think you need to try and find a remedy. Another word with your vet might be helpful as there might be a more up to date treatment available.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 16:32 

HELP!

Milo just chews his nails now - he doesn't chew his paws anymore.

I am worrying because he sits and crunches on his nails at least once a day for at least 30 minutes. He has a strong bite and can desiccate a leather dog-chew in minutes so I have in my mind that he is making his nails fragile. This seems like a habit he has got in to, at a time when he can't hear. It seems it is something he does on the way to going to sleep. When he was younger he used to suck the corners of all my cushions so hard that they came off.

His nails are however not easy to repair. Does anyone have advice?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 21:03 

Could you not put some little boots on his feet, so he cant chew them.

Harley wears Walker boots from amazon or ebay, to protect his feet, after his stroke, might just need to put them on for a while.