Tips on helping with dogs being a bit 'liverish' please.

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
AnnaB

Tips on helping with dogs being a bit 'liverish' please.

Post by AnnaB » 20 Oct 2019, 20:27

Elderly JR Mrs Nest has been a bit 'liverish' over the past year or so. Seems a lot worse this weekend - was sick and now not fancying any food. Other than this she is still her normal self. We have always been very careful her away from 'fatty' foods over the past few years and I cannot think of anything she has eaten recently that would have contributed to this latest upset. If no better I will pop her down to the vets tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone had anything to recommend - meds or food wise?

kobi&jazz

Re: Tips on helping with dogs being a bit 'liverish' please.

Post by kobi&jazz » 21 Oct 2019, 12:17

Hi Anna
Just seen your message so you may have already seen your vet - hope Mrs Nest sorted.
Whenever Jazz get like this I give her mashed banana and natural yogurt. The probiotics in the yogurt seem to help.
How is she today xx

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 21 Oct 2019, 16:22

Thanks for the reply. Vet has said that it is her age and the fact that her liver is 'slowing down' in its ability to work at top notch. Also suggested that as we have been doing to continue watching what she eats, go with the natural yoghurt and, once she starts eating again properly, try adding more vegetables to her diet. Vet really didn't want to subject her to meds if this is just a little blip, but to keep watching her. She is actually a lot better today, was feeling pretty poorly last Friday/Saturday but then she absolutely hates being sick or feeling ill and usually 'retreats' from general life until recovered. Now I just have to find something other than yoghurt that she fancies - not heard about bananas, will give them a try. Thanks.

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 22 Oct 2019, 11:45

Awww its horrible when they are not well - you feel so helpless as they cant tell you what is wrong. Glad to hear she is feeling a little better. I believe a low fat diet helps the liver. A little sweet potato (cooked & mashed) may tempt her and full of goodness. I can relate to her taking herself away to a quiet place - I prefer my own company when not feeling good :) . Take care xx

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 24 Oct 2019, 20:15

Glad to report that at last we seem to be back to normal. This evening she was actually keen to eat her tea and even looked for more! I have ordered some recommended food for her - to help with acidity and acid reflux so hopefully she will like it and it will help to avoid any more upsets.