Itchy Coat

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Cooperman3

Itchy Coat

Post by Cooperman3 » 30 Oct 2019, 20:14

Hi I am new to this forum but wondered if any of you lovely people could help? My 6 year old Labradoodle has over the past couple of months started to nibble and lick his back and underside near his back legs so much so that a once white Labradoodle is now a mucky brown which I have been advised by my vet is due to his saliva. The vet squeezed his glands but they were okay and he was put on antibiotics and steroids which worked okay but he has started again since finishing the meds. I started feeding him on Butchers Tripe six months so not sure if this is the problem? Any assistance would be appreciated.

kobi&jazz

Re: Itchy Coat

Post by kobi&jazz » 31 Oct 2019, 01:00

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your doodle is having problems. Did you notice this problem when you changed food? If so perhaps there is something he is allergic to? Do you give him any veg / bran - this will help keep his anal glands clear so prevent having to have them seen to by the vet.
Is he up to date with flea treatment - it only takes one flea bite to cause discomfort and again some dogs with react to a flea bite. I have heard excellent reports about a natural product called non-stinky stuff - link here if you want to have a look at that.
https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=D ... EAE&adurl=

Hope this helps. Do let us know how you get on. Oh and we LOVE pics too if you want to post a pic or 5 :) :)

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 31 Oct 2019, 21:27

Hello Cooperman and welcome. Not sure I can help with your doodle's problem except to confirm about possible allergies to a food change and flea bites. Just one flea 'running' around can cause a dog to start itching/nibbling and once they start it seems to become more or less a habit! Has he been walked anywhere new? Have you changed any carpeting/furnishings around the house? Been visiting anywhere new of late - other folks houses or holidays away from home this summer? Just throwing ideas out that might explain an allergy of some sort. I would certainly re-do him with a flea and tick potion of some sort if only to cancel out that possibility. When nibbling his back does he stand up and reach round to do it - this can be a sign of fleas being present.
Good luck, let us know how thing progress and yes, we would love to see pictures.

Cooperman3

Post by Cooperman3 » 02 Nov 2019, 17:38

Hi Both
Thank you for the replies I will redo his flea treatment can you recommend any good ones as I use a Johnson one which I have been using pre-itchy coat but wonder if the little critters have got used to it! Not tried anything new so will try this and perhaps adding extra veg to his food.
Regards

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 03 Nov 2019, 16:27

Hi Cooperman
I would use Frontline flea treatment - you need to know weight of dog to get correct dosage and all bedding, soft furnishing etc need to be washed on high temp wash. You will need to treat the home too as eggs may have been laid. I use Indorex spray which is brilliant and only needs to be done once a year. Both these products can be purchased from a vet but they are cheaper to buy online.
As I don't like using chemicals, I suggest once you have treated your dog use neem soap /shampoo to bath him and comb through every few weeks with a 'nit ' comb.
Good luck and hope your dood is soon comfortable xx

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 03 Nov 2019, 19:07

Hi, worth to swap his food even for peace of mind, you can always go back to it. Could be something included with the tripe.
Did the vet say they thought it was fleas ? Must be bad if vets put on steroids, poor boy.
If you redo flea treatment careful where it’s applied if he has broken skin. Imagine skin is generally sensitive. Depending where you live /walk assume they ruled out harvest mites (I think?? these are worst in autumn.)
From my own experience my skin reacts to certain washing liquids.

Re food IF I have the correct product here’s the
Ingredients
With Tripe: British & Irish Farmed (Chicken 34%, Tripe 13%, Beef 3%), Protein (8.5%), Crude Fibre (0.2%), Fat Content (6%), Minerals, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 57, Manganese Sulphate Monohydrate, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous.

Best wishes it’s tough to see your dog in discomfort.