Crossbreed rating

Discussion of experiences with obtaining and claiming on Pet Insurance, how to select an insurer and what to look for in a policy
Niandsa

Crossbreed rating

Post by Niandsa » 26 Jun 2013, 18:48

Poppy is insured with John Lewis and we have recently renewed her policy. I noticed that they had her date of birth slightly wrong so emailed them to amend it. They have replied saying that she is down as a 'crossbreed unknown' and is therefore not being rated for her breed. They want to know what cross she is and which is most dominant. :?

I'm concerned that if I provide them with this information my premiums may rocket! I understood that a cross breed is cheaper to insure and am wondering if they have decided to up the premiums for the so called 'designer dogs'? :shock:

Does anyone have any experience in this? What are your doodles insured as? :)
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Maggie111

Re: Crossbreed rating

Post by Maggie111 » 26 Jun 2013, 19:37

Why not try to get new insurance online twice - 1 cross breed and one doodle?

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 26 Jun 2013, 19:58

We're with John Lewis and Roma is down as a Labradoodle, our premium is £13 a month. Can you just say she's a labrador cross?
Rachel & Roma

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 26 Jun 2013, 20:06

Poppy is with petplan its £22 a month shes coverd for everything the main reason i chose petplan is that the vet claims from them so we dont have to pay anything up front should god forbid anything expensive happens and shes classed as a labradoodle on policy xxx xxx
ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 26 Jun 2013, 20:11

Stout is also with John Lewis as a labradoodle. Not sure how much his premium is, his insurance stuff is packed for moving, fingers crossed we dont need it for a couple of weeks!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Jun 2013, 21:21

Mine are insured with Petplan - they are down as crossbreeds becuase theire rep told me it would be cheaper that way. I put poodle down as the main breed, because Poppy is more poodley and the others are 50/50 so it sways statistically towards the poodle :lol: , plus I think poodles may be considered healthier than labs :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 26 Jun 2013, 21:21

Tried to insure Oscar on line, when I tried to enter labradonkey, an error occurred. :lol: :lol:

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 26 Jun 2013, 21:33

Bid im thinking i should of classed her a poodle but i never got the option.. Never mind £22 a month is a small price to pay for her health xxx
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 26 Jun 2013, 23:20

My concern with stating crossbred when there is a doodle option is the Insurers (lovely lot that they are :roll: ) may say you have negated the insurance by not stating correctly. Just thinking how insurers don't like to pay out :?

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 27 Jun 2013, 09:53

I am with John Lewis too and a similar thing happened to me at last years renewal. When I first took the policy out, labradoodle wasn't an option, so he was a crossbreed. Mid term, John Lewis changed underwriters.

I checked premium on line when I received my renewal to see how it compared to a first premium (I have noticed first premiums tend to be lower to get you and then they hike renewals up, M&S did this more than 50% over 2 years!! no claims either) and discovered that they now listed labradoodle as an option. I phoned them as I was concerned , like Pollydoodle, that it may affect any future claim if he wasn't described correctly and my premium actually came down (probably because they know what they are dealing with, unlike a "crossbreed- unknown"

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 27 Jun 2013, 10:16

I was getting quotes and John Lewis didnt have labradoodle? Also it stated each year and that if anything bad happened she would be able to claim for a while. Not sure I understand

I am with pet plan and just checked my policy and she is down as a labradoodole abd a life time insurance - although it is a lot of money

I do need to find quotes but am looking for a like for like one

It is a minefield!!!!!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 27 Jun 2013, 10:21

Thanks for all the replies. When I took out the policy last year there wasn't an option for a labradoodle so she went down as a crossbreed. As someone has already said they have changed underwriters and can now put in what cross they are.

I'm going to let them know as I don't want them wriggling out of any claim I may have in the future. :D
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 27 Jun 2013, 12:07

It saved me a grand total of £9.72 a year by giving them her correct breed! Still, definitely better in my pocket than theirs! :lol:
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

nicky16

Post by nicky16 » 27 Jun 2013, 20:29

Lexie is down as labradoodle as the vet has that down for her and said it should be changed as the insrance would be invailed and its the same for pet plan for labradoodle and cross bred £22.99 a month

Nicky Mummy to Lexie

loubyloufa

Post by loubyloufa » 28 Jun 2013, 11:28

I too have Sybil with Petplan all singing all dancing policy. Reason being if she hasn't had the best policy to start and then became ill it would've been impossible to change it to include and therefore any pre existing conditions wouldn't be covered. My friends Dood had an injury to her back end and it involved hydrotherapy , physio etc etc etc. it costed a fortune....but nothing for them and it was all handled directly. They are worth the extra ££