including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remove the drop down ads
PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 15:00 
Site Admin

I could do with some more screenshots of these if they are continuing to be an issue for anyone. As stated above, the only times I have seen this is where posters have included very wide (ie very large) images as part of their messages - modern DSLRs etc produce megapixel images which are usually way beyond what is needed for on-screen viewing and only consume bandwidth for surfers so please consider this when posting your photos online and link to lower res images eg 800x600 when posting. The ads used (on the right hand side) consume only a small section of any modern screen and should be inobtrusive enough (while still serving their purpose of course)...

Feel free to post and link screenshots here or email me mark(dot)hayhurst(at)labradoodle(dot)org(dot)uk

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 17:58 

Mark
This is what I see.

I use my iPhone to read the forum. Just in case that makes a difference. Also, I don't get it on all posts, eg it's not on the post about annoying ads!
Rebecca

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 18:15 

And this is what I often get even without pics:

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 20:52 

mhayhurst wrote:
I could do with some more screenshots of these if they are continuing to be an issue for anyone. As stated above, the only times I have seen this is where posters have included very wide (ie very large) images as part of their messages - modern DSLRs etc produce megapixel images which are usually way beyond what is needed for on-screen viewing and only consume bandwidth for surfers so please consider this when posting your photos online and link to lower res images eg 800x600 when posting. The ads used (on the right hand side) consume only a small section of any modern screen and should be inobtrusive enough (while still serving their purpose of course)...

Feel free to post and link screenshots here or email me mark(dot)hayhurst(at)labradoodle(dot)org(dot)uk

Thanks,
Mark

Out of interest the last 2 screenshots are my threads Mark - and they both have my photos in them. I resized them specifically for this forum and I know they are 800 x 600!

Liz - I think you will have that because there are "large" pictures somewhere in the thread, even if it's not the main topic of conversation, occasionally I've seen one or 2 people have a giant photo in their signature for example.

I'm sure Mark will ask so I may as well pre-empt him, what is it you're using? Internet Explorer for example?

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 21:09 

I use Firefox, Safari and Chrome. It's the same on all of them.

But - it doesn't really matter does it, whether there are large pictures or not. The site should work whatever. There are always going to be people who are new, or who can't resize. I can't myself, actually.

Plus - you can see big pictures!

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 11:26 

As a web designer who has worked with all sorts of forums, websites, social network sites, etc, I know that it is almost impossible to get some websites (or in this case forum) to work exactly the same in every web browser. Third-party adverts that load in an iframe are notorious for not working uniformly in all web browsers. With more and more people using mobile devices to access the internet, this has become even more of an issue, as the scripts that run the website may be responsive (i.e. adjust to the screen width), but the third-party ads aren't included in that window width, and load where they can (in simple terms).

Current trends are to include the ad iframe inside the responsive code of the website, so that they load (for example) at the bottom of the page. Also, these days, a lot of forums are built into a Content Management System (or added onto them), which helps with these sort of issues.

At a quick glance at the code for this installation of phpBB, I'd guess that it was also a pretty old version, therefore not quite as stable or predictable as one might like.