including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 15:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Felix my special pussy cat
PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 07:14 

Yesterday was a very sad day.

We noticed a growth on the side of Felix's mouth about two weeks ago. As soon as we saw it, we all thought the worst. The vet put him on antibiotics as it was also infected but said that she didn't like the look of it but she couldn't do any tests on it until the infection had been treated as the infection would mask the tests. It meant a week waiting for the antibiotics to kick in and then a second week after the sample was taken to wait for results. They came in yesterday.

It is cancer which is not treatable without removing most of his jaw (and it is still likely to come back). We discussed steroids but eventually decided that leaving him be until he has trouble eating again would be best for him. At that point another dose of antibiotics or maybe steroids to help him again - the tumour becomes ulcerated which is what causes him pain.

Each time we go, we will have to discuss if "today" is the day to say goodbye.

It is an aggressive tumour but not necessarily fast growing - the only way to know more would require a GA to take the full biopsy and I don't want to put my boy through that when it won't change the outcome or the treatment.

Felix walked into our lives over 10 years ago as the dirtiest big tom cat you can imagine. I was the one who resisted letting him in until one evening everyone was out and he strolled in the cat flap, walked over to me sitting on the sofa, jumped on my lap and settled down like he lived there. From that moment on he was MY boy. We put collars on him with a message in the barrel asking about his owners. After 3 collars that disappeared as soon as he left the house, we accepted that he was our cat and chipped and had him neutered. He has been a very special and loving cat ever since - he seemed to love and appreciate his home and family more than the other cats as he knew what it was like to be homeless.

Sorry that this post is so long but I'm slowly trying to get my head round the idea that he won't be with me for much longer.
:cry:

Post subject: Re: Felix my special pussy cat
PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 07:36 

That's so sad :( :( :( . There's nothing you can do in those circumstances is there, except make the most of the little time you have left with him, and make sure he never gets too uncomfortable - he'd thank you for that decision if he could.

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 08:53 

I am so sorry to hear about Felix. I think you have made the right decision, as hard as it is. What a lucky cat to have walked into your lives all those years ago. Whatever time you have left with Felix will never be enough, so just try and make the most of every day. Thinking of you xx

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 09:06 

So sorry to hear this, but very glad he's had such a loving home!

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 09:33 

Oh Sue, I am so very sorry to hear about Felix. He chose the right house when he walked into your lives. They are very clever at choosing their humans. This reminds me so much of my darling Tom cat who could only eat prawns and his catmint towards the end as he had either an ulcer or a cancer in his mouth as well as the bone cancer. Still, even though I knew how precious each day was, it was still very hard to make the decision to let him go.

I do have to say though that whilst I found it hugely traumatising, I found a sort of peace once the final decision was made and he was gone. He is sleeping forever in my garden under his catmint bush.

Big hug.

Clare xx

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 11:30 

Sue ,so sad and feel your heart ache.
Seems like you were lucky to find each other.

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 12:05 

So very sorry to hear your news. Felixstowe was a very lucky boy to have found you. You 'll know what to do when you need to . And he'll always be in your heart. X

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 13:09 

Sorry to hear you're facing some tough times. I've been there - my lovely cat Finn was with me 16 years, from my late student days till I was nearly 40. I did all of my "growing up" with him around - jobs, marriage, kids, house, all that stuff. He was an absolute terror, a typical burmese thug, and a huge character.

It was terrible when the time came, much worse than I expected - he'd had a brilliant life, and I wanted to feel OK about it, but I just didn't. I felt like I was letting him down. When the 'angels of death' came to put him to sleep it was all I could do to let them in!

We definitely did the right thing and he died peacefully in my arms, at home, so it was fine for him (I hope) but it was terribly painful for us, especially for me as he was always "my" cat.

I also spent a long time feeling that we'd done it too early, but with hindsight we'd probably left it too late - he was pretty ill by the end, but still the same fierce old sod he'd always been. Its terribly difficult to judge the right time and having made the decision to put him to sleep, I pretty much spent the next two or three days counting the minutes until the vet arrived. It wasn't much fun!

We buried him in the garden under a magnolia I'd bought specially - which, with hindsight, wasn't my greatest idea - there's nothing more tragic than sobbing your heart out in the garden centre trying to find a 'memorial' for a cat that is still alive but destined to die the following day...! :roll:

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 14:49 

What a shame - poor felix
Just make the most of him whilst he's here and I know you'll do you best for him and give him a comfortable goodbye too
Hugs to all

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 18:08 

Thank you everyone, it helps knowing that other people understand how bad it feels. Let's hope it grows slowly and he gets a lovely summer to sunbathe out in the garden which he loves to do.

Thank you

xx

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 21:05 

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat but I think we have all been there at some point. When 2oldest girrls were 2&3 years old my neighbors cat had had kittens. And my girls wanted one so we went over and picked one out. We waited patiantly for the kitten to be old enough to come home. The girls visited the kitten allot during this time. Then the day we were to bring the kitten home the woman said sorry you can't have it. I was so mad that this person would do this to little children. Anyway I looked in the paper (no computers back then)and found another kitten that was available and ready to go. So off we went to pick up our girl. She was a domestic longhaired tabby very pretty cat. She grew up with my girls and was just a very special cat. When she was 17yrs old she developed what looked like a big blood blister on her ear. So I took her to the vet and he did some tests and said that she was bleeding from her brain. She had brain cancer that was causing the bleeding and the blood has nowhere to go so its settling under the skin in her ear. He said that if it bursts shes going to be in excruciating pain. And he didn't think that draining in would help because her brain would be bleeding continuously. I was beside myself. She needed to be put to sleep but there was no way I could do it that night
So I took her home and we all said our good-byes and gave her all the love we could muster and the next day I had her put to sleep. Its been a good 12 years now and just writing this has brought it all back like it was yesterday and I'm in tears again. Some pets just grab your heart and never let go. Its funny because I'm not a big cat person. I prefer dogs. But right now I have 3 cats that I wouldn't part with for anything.

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 22:43 

sue,
I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely Felix. As others have already said, he certainly chose the right family. Sadly, the diagnosis of his cancer means that you are already grieving his loss... I don't know which is worse, the sudden loss or the sad realisation of an ultimate ending. At least you have the comfort of knowing that you can make his final weeks or months full of love and appreciation. When the end does come (and I hope it is a long time away) you will know it is the right time and can be comforted by the knowledge that you did everything you could for him.
Wishing Felix a long, warm and happy Summer to enjoy -
Anne & Ianto xx

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 13:31 

I'm so sorry to read about Felix :( :(

You'll know when the time is right and I hope you have some wonderful quality time with him before
that happens.

Thinking of you xx

ImageImage