including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 23:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jealousy between dogs
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 22:54 

Not sure if this is the right place for this post,but here goes.
We lost our flat coat in July last year he was 15 and we rescued a cairn terrier cross to keep him company in his later life,now Barney would love to play with a tennis ball Alfie never played with anything.Freddie came along last November as a partner for Barney and right from the off they have never got on.Barney is jealous of the toys that Freddie had and very often would take them off him,Freddie then tried to get them back and then the growling barking and serious ear biting would follow.It's not only toys also beds Barney would lay in his and Freddie would try and take it away so he could lay in it then follows growling and barking and downright nastiness towards each other.

Today Barney has been and had a trim, Freddie played in the garden on his own quite happily until I gave him a new toy,as it was time to fetch Barney I went to take the toy off him and Freddie growled and snarled at me baring his teeth, with the aid of a treat I managed to get the toy out of harms way.This attitude we believe has been learnt from Barney who when gets a toy of his own or steals it from Freddie will defend it from all comers including adults
Since Barney came home they have been barking and growling and nipping each other, Freddie won't leave him alone and at the moment has been banished to the garden to cool off.

We do feel sorry for Freddie he doesn't have any toys of his own we have bought them both the same but Barney's attitude is "whats your's is mine and whats mine is my own"so he ends up with both.It has been very challenging the last 3 months, Freddie has no toys although he did find a Kong in the garden that had been lost for almost 15 years, it's to big for Barney.Barney has loads of toys but doesn't look at them until Freddie does.

Now the question, is the nastiness from Freddie just a phase that he is going through he's now 7 months old (barney is 11 years old) he is not normally nasty he meets other dogs and is pleased to see them we have visitors and he is an angel they say that they cannot believe his attitude at times.

ImageDSC_0718 by derek Head, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0720 by derek Head, on Flickr

Here's a couple off pictures of the sweet little boy,but any thoughts would be welcome because the wife has just threatened him with a visit to the dogs trust not sure he understood though.

Derek

Post subject: Re: Jealousy between dogs
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 01:01 

Tbh it sounds as though it isn't Freddie that has a problem, but Barney. Reading what you wrote, the initial problem was Barney taking the toys from Freddie and guarding them. Freddie will have followed this example as younger dogs usually do, and is now guarding things.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 23:30 

Hi Derek, how you getting on with Freddie and Barney?
Interesting dynamic that Freddie is threatened with the ‘pound’ but is ok for Barney to show possessive traits even to adults.
I’d seek some advice from behaviourist only who uses positive reinforcement which sounds like you do already. The ways of pinning dogs down and showing ‘who’s boss’ is poor way to deal with dogs esp this trait
Need to act ASAP with Freddie,at his age, and so, you can gain his trust that at least with his hoomans he learns it’s safe to share his toys, hoomans do give them back.

Freddie looks like he’ll be bigger than Barney so you certainly don’t want to have that trait in your boy. It is also not enjoyable for him feeling he has to be alert and on guard all the time.
He looks absolutely gorgeous by the way.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 22:10 

Thanks for the replies they are most helpful the pair of them seem to be getting on better or is it us.I think it may be down to the issue's that Barney had a behavourist may be the answer but I hope not.Freddy had a nice day today he's loving the puddles in the garden

ImageDSC_0732 by derek Head,

ImageDSC_0728 by derek Head,
Derek

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 20:22 

Hello everyone
We seem to have cracked the nastiness and jealousy between dogs,we now have playtime,an hour or so each where they get their toys and do what they like.They are both seperate so no stress for anyone.
Derek

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 23:01 

:D Thanks for letting us know and glad you found a way forward.
Keep topping up (practicing ) the give up a toy to the humans.

Love the photos