including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 18:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Feeding issues - help very fussy doodle
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2018, 10:01 

Well at 4 months my clever Luna is seriously trying it on. She has slways been on Royal Canin Puppy and although never a voracious eater would usually finish her meal. However over past couple of weeks she wont look at her kibble BUT is extremely keen on training treats. We tried adding a little cooked chicken - which worked for a day
or two, although she tried 2 pick out the chicken. I dont want to keep adding new things as we had this problem with our previous Retriever and only getting a 2nd dog solved the problem (not an option now). She will sometimes eat a little kibble from her treat ball - but otherwise forget it. She is full of energy, gaining weight and perfectly willing to eat sausage treats and if she gets the chance cheese. Im now picking bowl up after 10 mins but she is still not interested when it re appears next meal time. Help!

Post subject: Re: Feeding issues - help very fussy doodle
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2018, 14:59 

Hi, after having a golden retriever whose nickname was dustbin, I found feeding Holly completely daunting. Fussy would rather starve than eat something she does not like, has a wheat intolerance, loves everything she should not really eat!
Well after 3 years I braved a raw food diet, slowly introduced it as I left out dry mix and cut down on her very expensive feed adding a small amount of raw at each feed. Within days she was completely on just raw with added crunch of a biscuit suitable for raw feed. Stopped all the titbits cheese, rich tea biscuits, whole cooked chicken and so on.
A Friends dog was on Natural Instinct raw feed Holly tried some and devoured it. We have not looked back since nearly 2years, many good side effects, her poos are solid ( anal glands no longer need regular treatment) what small amount she does produce does not smell ( this means she is digesting all of the food, it does not just pass through) her energy, coat condition,stable weight and her enjoyment of the flavours, she eats as dogs should, clears the bowl in minutes. I can only tell you what it has been like for Holly and several friends who took the plunge. May be worth trying, there are numerous raw feeds on the market but I only tried the one. Cost? Cheaper than what I was feeding and less hassle preparing. Only downside need plenty of freezer space and remembering to get a tub out in time to defrost. There is a puppy raw food in the range as well as seniors. Look it up.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2018, 09:44 

Agree with the above. Dude was never a fussy eater but he had really horrid poo in kibble! :roll: We've been on Luna+Me frozen raw for 18months now- fabulous. You need a freezer- we bought a 2nd hand chest freezer to keep in the shed just for Dude Food!
I recently recommended Luna+Me to a friend with a very fussy Staffie who is now eating every bit and licking her bowl!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 22:14 

Can it be the heat. I asked my vet and she said a lot of pups and dogs are not eating. My pup actually turns his bowl upside down emptiest and will sometimes eat this way. I found he did it with anything g I gave him that was usual. Anyth8 f different he would eat straight AwAy

ImageImage

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 14:19 

Hi and thanks for your help. Being vegetarians we aren't that keen on the raw feeding - BUT I bought some Nature Diet to try as it had good reviews and no grain, I have been adding a very little to her kibble and hey presto - finishes every bit in record time! Hopefully this will last. The cooler weather suits her much better too, although being caught in rain makes her go bananas - any sort of water and she's off! Anyway, one more problem sorted for now. Also we seem to have cracked the housetraining - no accidents for 10 days. Onwards and upwards!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 14:51 

It is all a case of trial and error, it is such a concern when they pick at food, let’s hope she settles on your diet now.
Only today has the temp really dropped here in West Sussex and at last some generous rain, Holly loves the rain but enjoys the rough and tumble of towelling down after. I though am shattered after a walk and clearing up after the mud muppet. Well done with the potty training again each phase comes and goes, these doodles do keep us on our toes. Love ‘em

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 20:05 

Whereabouts in W Sussex are you? We are near Chichester

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 22:11 

I also use nature diet when I forget their food, they love it including licking tray clean. BTW Royal Canin is not a particular brilliant food ( they have excellent marketing budget though!). Take a look at ingredients and decide if you want to feed that.

Can’t recall if this is the best website ,at least shall give you some idea of ingredients in dog food
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 16:38 

Hi lunadoo
We are in Worthing but on the edge of South Downs National Park. Cissbury Ring is a nice walk away or the beach just 10 mins drive. Best of both worlds. Often head to Chichester for shopping and lunch at the vaulted restaurant behind cathedral. You suffer the same A27 probs we have, damn road needs complete a bypass, Highways England say most of the traffic “is local” !!!!!!
To add to the rumpus they are trying to build an Ikea and 600 new homes to add to the chaos, no mention of the extra traffic it will involve. Don’t mind the store or homes as long as the damn infrastructure is in place before they build it. Anyway enough of that moan, probably nothing will happen ,it has been on the agenda for 30 years.