including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 11:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thornit ear powder
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 13:56 

My little friends ears continue to be a pain to her. Flaring up hot and itchy. Anyone tried the Thornit stuff, seems wrong to put powder in her ears, especially since vet said her ear tubes are very narrow.

Be grateful for your experiences.

Thanks
Jeanny

Post subject: Re: Thornit ear powder
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:00 

If her ears are a continueing problem she sounds like she needs them flushed out. They do this under GA.
She needs swabs to see what the infection is, so they can then know how to treat it. It maybe a fungus, in which case she may need an acid based ear cleaner in the future to keep the fungus at bay.
There arnt any miracle cures, but if sore ears are left she could soon end up with inner ear desease :(

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:03 

Thanks for quick reply
Had that all done, and they aren't as bad as they were. But are starting to flare up now and again. She's reacting to ear cleaner from vets too.

Jeanny

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:20 

I use thornit powder. What I do is pour a little onto a saucer, and use a cotton wool ball to dab in it and then dab over the ear, so the powder dosen't go right in her ear, but is caught by the hairs. It makes it much easier to pluck the hair, and sorts out any mites that are lurking. I've no idea if this is the best way to use it, but it seems to work for Poppy & I. I'm like you & don't like the thought of the powder going deep in the ear :?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:41 

Have you had an ear swab done, Jeanne?
If so what did it come up with?
The trouble is flushing isnt necessarily an end to the problem, she may have got another infection there. Fluffy eared dogs tend to be prone to it, but it will need long term treatment otherwise you will be in the same boat again, and again. Sorry it is not better news :(

Thornit is good, as Bid says, for getting a grip on the hair though.

I would get her back to the vets, have some antibiotic drops, Strong hold her if it is mites too and if you are lucky that may help, if not it will be another flush somewhere down the line. She probably has a wodge of wax and hair deep down there.
If you can massage the ear when you have used drops it should gradually help lift it.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:47 

Becky has grotty yuk ears from when she came to us :cry: I had her ears deep cleaned when she was out for the count being speyed but she's all smelly and yuk again now.

I went back to the vet and she's on another lot of Canaural - 7 days on drops, 7 days off and then 7 days on again.

Hopefully that will clear things up.

Like Bid, I use Thornit as a preventative measure. I just dab a finger in the powder and rub a little bit on the outer flap of the ear, never going down into the ear itself. It helps deaden the ear plucking and makes them smell better, but Becky is so fed up with her ears treatments that the moment she sees a small jar coming out of the cupboard she legs it :cry:

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:54 

I find Thornit very good. I rub it all round the visible parts of the ear and inbetween the toes to see off any mites. Sometimes you do need something like Stronghold or Advocate if there's a bit of a mite infestation.

I get eczema in my ears, so when I see them scratching, I can really sympathise. :?

http://www.labradoodletrust.com

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 15:15 
Site Admin

I think you might have prompted me to make a posting about ear care as Dougal is just recovering from a Total Ear Canal Ablation in his left ear - a rather severe but sadly all too common procedure that ended up being the only solution to recurring ear infections (despite thornit, canaural, easotic and other anti-biotics). Not a trivial operation, especially for an old dog. I'm not sure we could really have done things any differently in the past to avoid it but would perhaps have been that much more vigilant esp after swimming.

Mark

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 15:53 

I have regularly used Thornit in my three year old dogs ears from day 1 always after grooming. We have never had a problem despite occaisionally looking a bit red,after the Thornit they are back to normal. I swear by it. I do actually put a small amount into the ear itself and gently massage it in. Good luck!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 17:15 

I also use Thornit powder and find it does the trick. I put a small amount into the ear and massage it in. As soon as I see my doodle and my labrador starting to pay more attention to their ears - out comes the Thornit. Some people recommend using it on a weekly basis as a preventative measure. I only use it if it looks as if their ears are bothering them. Seems to work really well. On average I probably use it once every few months. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 17:34 

Thorn it is not supposed to go down the ear canal anyway

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 18:38 

mhayhurst wrote:
I think you might have prompted me to make a posting about ear care as Dougal is just recovering from a Total Ear Canal Ablation in his left ear - a rather severe but sadly all too common procedure that ended up being the only solution to recurring ear infections (despite thornit, canaural, easotic and other anti-biotics). Not a trivial operation, especially for an old dog. I'm not sure we could really have done things any differently in the past to avoid it but would perhaps have been that much more vigilant esp after swimming.

Mark

At least he will be free of problems now. That is the last resort, but unavoidable if they get inner ear desease. Freya doesnt get problems with her ears, but her daughters do. I really have to keep on top of it.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 17:52 

Thanks for all the replies.

I recieved the Thornit yesterday and put a little around her ears, not in the canal. The heat seems to have gone out of them and she isn't shaking or scratching.

I have been swilling them out with my camomile hydrosol, which also calms them down, so hopefully I may be on to a winner.

Will post in future to let you know how I am getting on.

Thanks again.

Jeanny and Arianne

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 17:20 

I was recommended Thornet for Izzie by her breeder, who swears by it. I put a small amount on the tip of a tiny spoon, and pop the Thornet right in her ear nand give the ear a good rub...she doesnt mind at all. Preventative dose is about once every 3 weeks, ... so far Izzies ears are perfect.

[url][URL=http://www.GlitterMaker.com/]Image[/url][/url]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 18:26 

I think at the end of the day it does depend on what the problem is.
Thornit is supposed to be more for plucking to be made easier and for a mite problem, im not so sure whether it is capable of dealing with a fungus problem which is what our girls sometimes get.
I am trying it out though, but we'll see. I hope so.
It's not a cure all if they have an infection, but as a preventative it does seem to do very well.