including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 16:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Labradoodle life expectancy.
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 20:59 

I forgot to put a subject on the last message so I'l repeat it.

Suzie is now one year old and doodling along very well.

However it occurs to me that we have never met another doodle older than 3 years. Is the breed known to have a short life span?

We would love to know how old a labradoodle is likely to get.

Hope to hear from you soon

luv

Andy & Suzie
x

Post subject: Re: Labradoodle life expectancy.
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:03 

I was under the impression that they should live around 15 years or so?
You've worried me now!!!!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:04 

I met a 9 year old doodle once - she was fit and healthy and looked set to go a good few more years.

None of my labs ever made it past 12 :( , but I know a few working labs in their teens. Anyone know how poodles fare?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:09 

My first one was 17 when he died, but all my dogs have had reasonably long lives - 14 and 15 for the other two.

Digger also jumped on my bed every night for a goodnight cuddle, including his last night....... I hope you're prepare for a long and active time with your Dood............

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:10 

I've read between 13-15 years but I think the problem is that they are a relatively new breed , even on these forums everyone's doodles seem to be relatively young. Would be interesting to see who's is the oldest. I hope that the promising thing is that the mixture of gene pools creates healthier dogs. I too have heard of quite a few people with labradors that have developed serious problems at the age of 7/8 ish and havent lived much longer. Although we met one the other week who was an old man aged 14 and deaf, poor soul, he was lovely. Im not too sure about the age prediction of poodles.
We can all only hope that they have a long lifespan as it dosent bear thinking about.

Lorraine

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:15 

Barneyboy wrote:
My first one was 17 when he died, but all my dogs have had reasonably long lives - 14 and 15 for the other two.

Digger also jumped on my bed every night for a goodnight cuddle, including his last night....... I hope you're prepare for a long and active time with your Dood............

Thats sounds positive that your first dog lived until 17. I dont know anyone personally that has had a labradoodle so no one to ask.

Lorraine

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:25 

Well... I was same but at the weekend we went to the seaside and met 2 other labradoodles. Morris who was 8 and Dudley who was 9 and they were both so healthy looking and fit!!

To be honest, I thought Dudley was still a pup as he had in no problem keeping up with Hank who is 1!! :D

Georgie & Hank xx

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:28 

Good question - I was wondering the same thing myself! I don't know many Labs much into their teens but my aunt had poodles who lived to 16 & 17.
My 5 year old took the hair from Monty's brush the other day and put it in his "special box". When I asked what he was doing he replied that he was saving it so he can remember how soft and lovely Monty was after he has died!!
(Monty is currently 7 months!)
I must admit even thinking about Monty dying makes me feel quite tearful!
Leah

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:37 

'How to have the perfect pup' from Dogs Today says that Labradoodles live to an average 11 years, Labradors 12 years , (Poodles weren't mentioned in the book).

Whilst looking up the age span, I saw an interesting passage about the Flat Coated Retriever "the ever-popular Labrador Retriever arrived in Britain in the early 1800's......the breed was crossed with Water Spaniels and Poodles to give us the Curly Coated Retriever and with Setters to produce the Flat Coated Retiever.........." It also says "This is a very affectionate dog with a warped sense of humour....."

I guess there is nothing new then and the KC should immediately recognise our doodles as an established breed from the 19th Century. But then again, I think I would prefer they didn't

:) Wendy and Kizzie Whizz

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:49 

Have just goodled and the general expactancy is 12-15 years. But stumbled on something I'd not read before.......
Historical Note : Donald Campbell, a British speed record breaker who died in a water speed record attempt in 1969 used the term 'Labradoodle' in his autobiography in 1955.
"It was a gloomy job but we had some laughs, many at the expense of my dog, Maxie. I'd had him since he was a pup in 1949 and we call him a "Labradoodle" since he is a mixture of a Labrador and a poodle, all black with thick, curly hair." This quote can be found in his autobiography, Into the Water Barrier, Odhams Press Limited, 1955 on page 125.

Interesting!!!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:53 

It is so upsetting to think of our dogs having such a short life span; my understanding is that doodles should reach 12-15 years before leaving us. Small dogs usually have a longer life expectancy than the large breeds.

I think the oldest doodle on here at the moment is Elly who is 10 (?) and belongs to Jo (delilah).

One of our customers had a lovely SP who enjoyed visiting the bookshop and died very suddenly last year aged 16. I do think one of the problems with the labradors, especially the big show type, is that they tend to become obese and die earlier than they should. My father's lab, Rex, was five when I was born and lived to be 13 but he lived with several terriers and had a lot of exercise keeping up with them and us. I can't remember-if I ever knew- what he died of but I do remember being heartbroken.

Katherine

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 22:13 

We had cross lab/alsation and he lived to 12/13.
I try not to think about how long my 2 will be with us.
i am under the impression that cross breeds do live longer than the pedigree dogs. Time will tell i suppose.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 08:26 

I would love it if they do live up to 12 -15 years. I have met a 7 year old labradoodle, that is the oldest so far

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 09:06 

I have had labs and they live up to about 15 depending on health, I lost my black lab chloe at just 11 :cry: which i thought was early as all our other labs had lived to 14-15. Hollie is a yellow lab(pedigree) and is coming up to 12 and very healthy and puppy like at times although she does have problems with her legs at times.

I think poodles have a good life expectancy too :D so 12 -15 I would say is a good estimate :D .

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 09:18 

My labrador lived till almost 15, sadly we had to have her put down just a week before her 15th birthday. Even having 15 wonderful years it felt that we lost her too soon. I really hope that little Zooey will have such a good long life with us too. It really is a horrid thought to think of losing them.