including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 23:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recall - running away still works!!!!
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 22:57 

Just a short one, mainly as we have so many lovely new pups on here, just as a recall tip.....

Bruno's recall is average, for a teenage doodle :roll:
I use a combo of treats, whistle, high pitched "come on"s, name calling (sometimes not the name actually printed on his tag :twisted: ), squatting, and my last resort - the running away!! :lol:

Tonight, we went to the grassed sports area where I live but I'd forgotten my treat bag :oops:

Bruno cottoned onto this and was not coming to me as often as he usually does, and if he did, he'd dash off under my legs and stop to look back and laugh at me :evil:

He got onto the concrete skate ramps and stood there at the top of the 5' slope. I called, he looked at me in a "ner, ner, ner, ner, ner! You can't get me!!" :roll: Everytime I got close, he dashed away. Great game eh?? :evil: I must of looked like a right loser :oops:

So, I gave up. Off I ran in the opposite direction, muttering expletives :evil: ............Bruno skidded down the ramp in hot pursuit, leaped at my hands, fell in a heap at my feet, belly exposed, laughing away. :lol: (yes, I am convinced Doodles laugh at their owners)

Lead went on and sharp exit home. Lucky it was dark! :oops: :oops:

He's currently away with the fairies at my feet looking like butter wouldn't melt :x
Lesson of the day - remember treats :roll:

Claire

Post subject: Re: Recall - running away still works!!!!
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 23:36 

LOL - I still have to use the running away trick sometimes and Teddy is 2.5 now :roll: :lol: !!

Liz x

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 23:41 

Running away only works when they can still see you, good on those occasions but not the "I'm going off into the forest without a backward glance) ones!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 23:57 

You know how, when reading a book, you picture (in your head) the characters you are reading about... well I did that when I read your post :P You running away - 'that bl..dy dog had better follow me...' :lol: :lol:

LOVE IT!!

Glenda

ImageImage

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:35 

Having thought overnight about Bruno. I wouldn't change him one bit.

He makes me laugh and he cheers me up when I'm down.
He'll get better with age. :wink: :? :?:

We have many years ahead of us, and, when he's too old to run and play 'chase me' games, and I'll be longing for these days back again.

:P

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:45 

Did make me laugh ! Briar is almost the same age as Bruno and she does the thing of letting you think she's coming back to you but then scarpers at the precise moment you make a grab for her !

We have done the same by running off (well maybe waddling a bit) and it does work (mostly)

Walks on different days are never the same are they !

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:50 

blueboysgirl wrote:
Having thought overnight about Bruno. I wouldn't change him one bit.

He makes me laugh and he cheers me up when I'm down.
He'll get better with age. :wink: :? :?:

We have many years ahead of us, and, when he's too old to run and play 'chase me' games, and I'll be longing for these days back again.

:P

How lovely :D xxx

Last edited by lucyeff on 24 Jan 2011, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:54 

If you go down to the woods in South Devon you will find a slightly demented looking older lady hiding behind trees and bushes.

Is she playing with Grandchildren? Hiding from a rapist in the woods? Escaped from a nursing home or the local law?

No, she's playing Hide 'n' Seek with Jack and Becky to reinforce their recall :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:56 

MrsAdmin wrote:
If you go down to the woods in South Devon you will find a slightly demented looking older lady hiding behind trees and bushes.

Is she playing with Grandchildren? Hiding from a rapist in the woods? Escaped from a nursing home or the local law?

No, she's playing Hide 'n' Seek with Jack and Becky to reinforce their recall :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they say it's the dogs that are crackers !! xxx
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 11:08 

Bruno spotted an elderly Collie on the park today, went shooting over, would not even look back at me :evil: :evil: :evil:

Luckily, the Collie is very obedient, and the owner got him to sit while I got Bruno's lead back on.
I apologised profusely, to which the owner said "it's okay, he's still only a pup, isn't he? He'll get there"
:oops: :oops: :oops:

At what age can I still use this excuse, I wonder??? :twisted: :roll: :lol:

Claire (and an unruly "puppy")

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 11:19 

Ruby always goes like a bat out of hell when she sees another dog, and she's 4!! She loves them so much. Luckily, my shout is well honed (kids, you see) and she stops in her tracks and comes back looking a little bewildered as if she doesn't what quite what happened.

Fortunately she is great with other dogs. Unfortunately, she makes the most aggressive play noises as if she's really really going to kill them! :roll: :lol: She does it with the kids too, I think she just has that sort of voice.

It doesn't bother the dogs but it has unnerved a hell of a lot of owners, hence us having to keep a bit of an extra eye on her when we're out and about.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 14:58 

I've been silently quite smug about my recall with 5 month old Fletcher... After a few times of 'running away' from him he's been really really good. Sometimes he's just HAD to say hello to other dogs but always came back to me if he thought I would leave without him!

I read somewhere that once they hit teenage years, a previously good recall response can be lost as they lose their fear of not being able to see you? Anyone found similar.... ?

I only ask as on my walk with him this morning he seemed to be having a mental struggle between doing what I asked, and what he wanted to do..... almost swaying on the spot with a 'shall I run anyway or do what mum says?' look on his face, and he was just a touch more reluctant to come back, even on the one time I employed the 'running like a mad thing away from you' technique!

Hoping I've attached pic right. I actually don't have any pics of him dry..... I wonder why that is the little monkey!!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 22:39 

[quote="JudeinPlymouth"]

I read somewhere that once they hit teenage years, a previously good recall response can be lost as they lose their fear of not being able to see you? Anyone found similar....
/quote]

Yep, Alfie was fab and still is that's unless there is another dog around. At about 10 months he even went home with a stranger when he darted off thought the woods.
I no longer let him off a long line, even though he was allowed off lead from day 1, did all the normal things daily, hid and seek, running away etc.

The final straw for me was when he flew across a full field and terrorised an old lady who was walking her dog on lead, he was jumping around like an idiot trying to play but her dog wanted to attack. The poor woman was in such a state. Luckily she was fine with me.

A few days later oh took him up woods for his daily run of lead when a staffie on its own went to attack him. Hubby managed to grab Alfie but had to use a stick and his boot to keep the dog off him. It really hit home with me what would i have done when i cant control my own dog.

Oh still takes Alfie off lead every day and can get him to stay now when he sees another dog but if Alfie sees it first he is off. I still practice every day with his recall on long line and hope to get there.

Keep your finger crossed that your dog keeps that good recall. :D

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 23:06 

i now some times i hold my breath when i see kids or someone we dog on lead specialy if its a little one or old he just thinks hes got to play we every dog he sees one of these days hes goin to go to a nasty one but i dont think it will stop him some people can be very nasty and make u feel like u cant control ur dog he did everything right at trainin passed we distingsion but when sees dog it another story