including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 12:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: At what age do labradoodles get their adult coat through?
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 15:59 

Does anyone know what age doodles have their full adult coat through? I know ppl cant really go off what a pups coat looks like when looking at a litter, as a short haired pup that looks like a lab might be a scruffy coated as an adult. Just wondered at what age you can safely say that they have the coat that they will have as an adult. If that hasnt confused you lol. :D

Post subject: Re: At what age do labradoodles get their adult coat through?
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 21:12 

Wil had a couple of coat changes, he started off quite soft & wavy, then about 6 months old he went to scraggy :lol: now he's almost as curly as a poodle
His colour changed slightly too... from quite a deep caramac colour ~ to a mucky creamy colour and now he's apricot & cream :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 21:41 

Wow he has had some changes!! He sounds a gorgeous colour. Sadie is apricot and cream too. She has an apricot stripe down her back and her ears are apricot, and all of the apricot hair is more coarse than the cream which is from her shoulders down inc all her legs and chest. That is soft and her chest gets like corkscrew long curls when I leave her to grow longer over the colder months. It always amazes me how different all of our doodles can be. :D

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 21:50 

Poppy's coat changed slightly when she was about 18 months - she lost the straggly fluffy bits. Daisy's coat didn't change noticeably at all.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 21:57 

marley had several changes until he was about 18-24 months and it's been the same since then. He started of wispy and cream, then went apricot and wiry, then back to cream almost white in places with soft fleece curls and wiry strip along his back, and now he is very curly, spiral curls in places and soft fleece apart from wiry bit at the bottom of his back and top of his tail, he still changes colour though! lol varying shades of apricot, cream and white.

It really is impossible to tell how they will turn out xx

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 23:16 

Herberts coat has really changed in the last 2 months, he has become a lot more curly. He looked like a yellow lab when we picked him up at 8weeks, by a year he was wiry and reg got confused for a spinone. Now he is still wiry but very curly along his back. He will be 2y dec 1st.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 06:44 

Wow, how interesting. I knew there could be a wide range of coats between puppies, but didn't realise that individual dogs could change so much. Can't wait to see how Toffee turns out. She's caramac coloured now, but there's more cream coming through.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 12:30 

I knew they varied a lot but didnt realise that they continue changing for so long. It is very exciting to guess how your doodles are going to turn out by the time they mature. Sadie is 3 1/2 now but her coat has changed since we had her in January of this year. I think that is down to change of diet tbh. Her hair has thickened up really lovely and when we let it grow, it is like gorgeous curls down her chest and under her neck, and on the sides of her back legs. Like she has been got at with a curling tong. Her back and sides are mainly staight with the odd wave. She does have thinner hair on her legs which she really doesnt like getting brushed and thick on her body. She has a definate poodle shaped head. They really are funny arent they. xxx

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 14:23 

With my two I would say that Cookie being an F1b her coat hasn;'t really changed apart from in colour from being deep chocolate to more a mocha with alot of grey hairs, however Ivy who is an F1 , was always confused for a patterdale with her beard but in the last few months she has become more curly and I would say she now has her adult coat, although isn't keeping it to well :lol: as my hoover can vouch :roll: She is just 2 in October. Hthx

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 14:32 

Im excited to know what Luna's coat will be like but on the other hand want this puppy stage to last forever !
its going to be a nice surprise anyway. i met someone the other day who had a curly goldendoodle and she said his coat was straight when she got him but went to a poodle curl when his adult coat came through ! i forgot to as her what generation he was. :)