including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 03:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Where did Woofability go?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 16:32 

I can no longer access this thread 'Not authorised' ?

Anna

Post subject: Re: Where did Woofability go?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 16:39 

The thread's had to be removed it would seem - you can read a little bit more on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25559

Although it still doesn't answer much.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 16:46 

:oops: I must have missed that thread. Sorry

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 00:18 

Hi Anna :wink: Gosh, no need to apologise. It is good people are interested.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 10:16 

I totally agree Pollydoodle...:D

I still have major concerns for the dogs and disabled people they place any dogs with?
As already said they have been established a number of years and should have placed a number of dogs but there is no information of this anywhere?
They aren't members of the AD UK who share best practice. The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health endorses assistance dogs trained by AD (UK) member organisations based on their selection, training, veterinary treatments and lifetime support.
Who works for Woofability, do they have qualified dog trainers?
What training, help, advice do they give their volunteers?
Likewise what training, help, advice do they give their dogs?
Where are the dogs housed?
Whoever has sponsored one of Woofability's dogs, do they know how that dog is getting on now or where their sponsor money is being spent?
Has anyone actually been to the Woofability's premises and seen the conditions, training schedules, etc?
There are alot of people and organisations raising funds for this charity but no one appears to be able to find out where the money is going?

Check out their latest accounts on the Charity Commissions website.

I'm sure if the charity has partnered their lovely trained dogs with disabled people they would want to shout their success from the rooftops?

It's good to know others also have similar concerns.x

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 10:42 

I would like to know why these threads keep being removed - surely it is OK for us to express our concern?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 10:59 

I totally agree Bid...

As long as what ever is said is in the public domain there shouldn't be any problems and ideally would like the old thread reinstated or at least know why it was removed.

There are a number of people who are expressing concerns all over the internet and to be honest I am surprised it was removed as I would have thought the charity might wish to post some reassurances?

Just removing the thread raises my concerns even more but hey, best I stick to fact.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 13:52 

Jackie wrote:
I would have thought the charity might wish to post some reassurances?

You would have thought so wouldn't you. :?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 18:05 

All the champ Dogs stuff on Woofability has also been taken down :roll:

Doesn't sound much like reassurance to me Bid, more like lawyers threats to hush things up. Wonder if their patron, Twiggy, knows what is going on, assuming her management don't keep her in the dark?

Bet Martin Clunes, who also lives in Dorset, wouldn't put HIS name to anything dodgy.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 19:05 

The original thread was removed, I did ask Mark for it to be reinstated, but then as I didn't want recriminations against those already being targeted (not shitability), and as developments were happening I thought that we had to hold back so as not to upset the apple cart! I therefore asked Mark to keep the original thread deleted for a few days until we heard further news.

Bid/jackie, I thought this made sense after the eml we received on sunday?!

I do understand that another forum 'topix' mentions woofability, if someone could post a link as I haven't seen it yet. X

www.northboundaustralianlabradoodles.com

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 20:25 

http://www.topix.com/forum/uk/east-dors ... P6FMROMO01
Here it is.

Woofability state http://www.woofability.com/2011/01/28/b ... n-the-dark Bailey the black lab should be with a disabled person in 18mths and they are keeping in contact with Lynne. Lets try and find out where Bailey is and if Lyn from Poole ever got her updates. Does Poole have its own community forums we can try??

Quote from Woofability website
HOW MANY DOGS DO WE TRAIN?
Studies show that 70-80,000 people in the UK could benefit from using an assistance dog, of which 3,500 are within our area of operation. Our aim is to train 20 dogs per year so we will eventually have 200 dogs in the community.

So...if they have been established for 4yrs (pls correct me if I am wrong), it takes 2yrs to train a dog, that means over the last 2yrs nearly 40 dogs should be with disabled people. THATS GREAT NEWS!!!! :shock:

So ladies, lets find these disabled people who actually have a Woofability trained dog.... :D

www.northboundaustralianlabradoodles.com

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 23:44 

This makes interesting reading ! taken from an article from here
http://Www.bartononsea-probusclub.co.uk
Google Woofability puppies for dummies

They use retrievers, for their natural retrieving instincts and only use top quality dogs from 5 national breeders to guard against too much inter-breeding.  All dogs are owned by the charity and loaned out to the people. They will stay with the person for life and are  expected to have a 10 year ‘working’ life. At that time the person will, if they agree, be able to keep the dog  for the rest of its life and be loaned a new younger dog.

Training is started by being ‘socialized’ with various volunteers, to avoid them becoming attached to any one person, and learning the simple commands that can be utilised in their later training. Andy and Jenny use many of the training methods outlined in the book ‘Puppies for Dummies’ and have so far achieved 100% success compared with the major charities 70-75% success rate – and as Andy was at pains to  point out,  all funds raised are spent on the dogs and their training, not on wages and expensive head offices!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 00:04 

Thanks for the info Seadog (By the way we are not dummies). I see that you are new to this site. How old is your Labradoodle?

Last edited by McDoodle on 13 Dec 2012, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 00:09 

In answer to the original question posed by the thread maker.

Into the same black hole as the trained dogs maybe?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 00:10 

Hello Seadog and thanks for joining us! :D

Are you linked to Woofability somehow? That would be great because there are a lot of people with no real knowledge of the charity on here who are worried about dog welfare. There is one question which keeps being raised and would really settle a lot of minds if answered -- how many dogs have Woofability placed?

There is a lot written about fundraising and the lack of assistance dogs which I completely understand. 2 members on here have assistance dogs and we all know how useful they are but there is little detail about Woofability after the PR.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next