New puppy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Florrie!

New puppy

Post by Florrie! » 28 Jun 2021, 17:58

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I lost my beautiful 10 year old girl Florrie in February.

Our 9 year old boy Austin was missing her so much and I’d always planned to have another puppy at some point in the future.

Lottie has been with us now for 6 weeks and is 14 weeks old. Oh my I forgot how hard the puppy days are! Lottie doesn’t like to sleep much during the day even though she’s crate trained, this leads to her being naughty. She is in a good routine and sleeps all night, has a number of different types of toys, plenty of things to chew ie Kongs etc, is brilliant going for walks, training is good too but the sleep is a real issue. When she’s tired she becomes manic and growls and barks and jumps all over the furniture etc. We’re really consistent with her naps but she often shouts and fights it or doesn’t sleep for very long at a time.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tash

Florrie Lorrie

kathiedoodle

Re: New puppy

Post by kathiedoodle » 29 Jun 2021, 11:23

So happy to hear your news, yes I remember the puppy stage as if it were yesterday. I think I survived on Valium and Brandy!!
Lottie looks a bundle of joy and mischief, the only thing I remember worked with Holly when she became hyper tired was “time out” not to bed as did not want bed to be seen as punishment but into the kitchen, no toys just quiet time. She soon got the message that naughty meant “ mummy has had enough” have got a picture of a time out I’ll see if I can post, breaks your heart but well needed other than that you know it is all just a phase we have to survive before the next one. We wish you years of fun and love.
ImageImage

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 30 Jun 2021, 10:24

Oh my - what a gorgeous bundle of fluffy fun. I am full of envious thoughts although I have to admit to seriously being too old to start again with a pup of any sort. Last week we had a visitor call at the farm with a wonderful little cockapoo and a virtually fell upon it saying 'ooo I know what you are'. I'm sure the poor owner first thought that I was a completely demented mad woman but seemed a little more understanding once I had apologised, explained and praised her little one!
But to return to your question Tash. I think that I must have been very lucky with M in that she was always (well mostly) very laid back. On the other hand we did live on a fair sized small holding at the time she was a pup and she was always busy wandering around, making discoveries and generally exploring lots of different 'smells', and as I moved around looking after the horses she was constantly following me, either trotting along steadily or running to catch up depending on what had caught her attention. When she became tired she just flopped down (or I returned her back indoors to her bed) and fell asleep. I feel really sorry for those of you who live in what I will call 'normal' houses with gardens (however large) as keeping a lively young pup occupied must be difficult at times and a whole different ball game.
They do say that to spend as much time wandering and sniffing around as possible is one of the most tiring things a dog can do. So could you perhaps 'hide' some treats or favourite toys around your house and garden and encourage her to go 'find' these treasures on a regular basis, helping her by wandering around yourself to start with and showing great excitement when she makes a discovery? These doodles are so intelligent and learn so quickly that I'm sure she would soon learn to go off 'hunting' on her own and occupy herself. Do let us know how you get on and keep the pictures coming please. Good luck.

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 07 Jul 2021, 10:09

:D Hi,
Think I’ve just replied to you on another post but we e done the same since losing Holly Tash and we are having the same problems with our 12 week old Eric ! And Daisy our nearly 12 year old is not tolerating him at all as he’s constantly licking her mouth!!
Any advice gladly welcomed as my husband wanted to rehome him last week but then we are only on week 3 :lol: :lol:
Janette
Ps does pitapata not work anymore??
Thanks
Janette

ImageImage

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 09 Jul 2021, 21:46

Hi Janette, not sure I can offer any help other than the suggestion I made in my thread above. But I just wanted to say that Eric is absolutely gorgeous. :D

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 09 Aug 2021, 12:01

:D thank you x
ImageImage